Saturday, July 19, 2008

Guess who came to supper?

A month ago I sent out a formal handwritten, invitation to a dinner party at my house. I do this once or twice a month because I love getting to know people better and I love introducing people to each other. I'm as busy as most other people, but setting a lovely table, planning a special meal, selecting music, and choosing people I think will have something in common are all preparations I delight in making. It always surprises me when people respond with a "RSVP" to let me know they are saving the date. Because all too often, I need to follow up a week or so out by email to check. Tonight I was planning a Spanish paella, a Mediterranean salad, fresh rustic loaf, lemon meringue pie or lemon sorbet. I usually set the table the night before-had the centerpiece, fresh lilies and roses---and then, one by one, people started backing out. One had a birthday party for an in law to attend; another had a fiancee who was coming into town with a special festival in mind; one had a conflicting meeting. Even last minute calls couldn't raise another substitute guest, and sorry I couldn't entertain one married gentleman without the company of chaperons (I am old fashioned), I found myself having to cancel him. Now I have a refrigerator full of food and no one to cook for. And I had so looked forward to the kinds of conversations that usually rise around the table.

Then, I remembered that one of the gospels has a parable about a great supper. Many were invited by this man. When the feast was all prepared, he sent his servants around to say to those who were invited, "Come for all things are now ready." By they all began to make excuses: real estate deal; test drive some oxen; newly wed. When the servants returned without any guests, the master is angry..."Go out into the streets and bring in the poor, the maimed, the lame, and the blind." The servant says, "Master, we have done that already, and still there are empty tables." "Go, then and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled."

I guess I know now how God feels when He has invited so many to His table, to enjoy His fellowship and company, and we all start to make excuses. And He has made provision for us to have a magnificent time--and we miss the boat! I know I have chosen to do other less rewarding things than "sup with Him".

In another of looking at the story, I am also the servant, inviting people to join the celebration of the Good news of the Kingdom. I wonder if I have given the invitees sufficient enough reason, compelling enough witness of the glories of the great supper, to make them change their minds and come?

No comments: