Saturday, August 30, 2008

Talking Mathematics and Quantum Mechanics

He looked more like an artist, tall, slender, long fingers, earnest expression. Most of the "customers" at the M.D. Garage in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park are bikers, wearing pointy hats and neon-colored spandex. He wore jeans and an oxford shirt and spent time in front of nearly every painting. After some conversation we learned that he is a mathematician, working in the field of quantum mechanics. And all of the sudden there was a silence. Because Math is like a special language. All I know about quantum mechanics is summarized in a collection of poems I wrote that really borrow metaphors and a set of vocabulary words that excite me, but which i use in my own personal , idiosyncratic way, and I'm afraid, probably not properly. There is a precision about math that I admire. And there is a fascination I have for the world of quantum mechanics. Such a strange world of quarks, and strange-attractors. I know so little about this world that I can't even arrange an intelligent question. Yet, I have this realization that the whole of the universe I know and love and am a part of is under laid by its principles and states, and actors But if I ask him, he can only tell me numbers. Or at least, numbers would be the most precise way to tell me what he knows, what physicist suspect may be true about the nature of all the possible worlds. And i want pictures and diagrams or failing that, words to describe it and to tell me what it means--what it portends--and what its implications are for my life, for my decisions today and tomorrow. If the very order of the universe has a message I want to hear it for myself--and here I am with a brush, and a pen when I need at the very least, calculus. It seems unlikely that such an important message would be encrypted for only the elite--when all of nature seems to speak to us in every language--every culture. Even art, the language of the human soul, speaks across language barriers as we discovered on a recent trip to Spain and Morocco. We artists created many different kinds of visual art there, and regardless of language, people of many ages and backgrounds could respond to the quality of line and color and to the symbols, to the textures--to the Jungian shapes of dreams and fears --so where is-- the "babel fish" that sits in your ear and explains math--so that you can see its shape and hear its message. I want to understand string theory-and chaos theory and to discover those bits of truth that are held by the mathematicians.

No comments: